Date: 4/30/18 1:31 pm
From: Jerry McWilliams <0000001b5c226889-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Erie County, Presque Isle Hawk Watch for April 30, 2018

Unknown Raptor 1 2 3

Total: 893 11295 17807

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 13:30:00
Total observation time: 5.5 hours

Official Counter: Jerry McWilliams

Observers: Russ States

Visitors:
Russ States and Bernie O'Connor assisted with the count. Don Snyder, Jim
Baxter, and Julie dell stopped by for a short visit.

Weather:
Chrystal clear all day. The projected WSW winds were actually WNW wind to
20 mph. Cold air off the lake kept temps. just above 50 F.

Raptor Observations:
A slow first couple of hours and then a kettle of BWs far to the south
around 1000 hrs. EST prompted us to move to our inland site, which is about
3/4 mile south of our primary post at the Tom Ridge Environmental Center
along the lake. For the next couple of hours there was a decent movement of
BWs, though many were stratospheric. Eventually the flight drifted even
farther south at the limit of 8X binoculars.

Non-raptor Observations:
Common Loon-2, Double-crested Cormorant-34, Great Blue Heron-5, Northern
Flicker-6, Barn Swallow-24.

Predictions:
Looks promising if the bulk of the BWs haven't past and the winds are
strong enough from the SW to prevent the lake breeze from kicking in.
Should be a good passerine movement as well, since many species typically
here by now have not made an appearance yet.

Jerry McWilliams
Erie, Erie County, Pa.
<jerrymcw...>

Join us on Facebook!