Date: 4/29/18 8:39 am
From: Marlene A Condon via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: Re: [VA-bird] FW: REALLY excessive use of bird call
I could be wrong, but it seems as if folks are trying hard to deny that unethical behavior occurs in the birding community.  Yet I'd be surprised if there's anyone on this list serve who hasn't witnessed the overuse of bird recordings, especially on field trips.

As for whether what I heard could have been an actual owl,  I'm very familiar with how owls behave as I've had microphones outside for about 30 years, 24/7. I've never heard an owl of any type repeat itself approximately every 30 seconds for 15 minutes straight and then start again in a new position an hour later for the next 5 hours!

The calling was much too rapid and the spacing of the "sessions" was much too regular.  Additionally, the "owl" followed the roadway up the mountain and back down again in a somewhat semicircular arc, a route no real owl would need to follow.

I might also point out that Barred Owls, I'm sad to say, are no longer commonly heard here, which I know from having microphones. Yes, I wake up for wildlife sounds--like a mother with a baby--and record anything happening at night, from insects to birds to mammals.

What I heard was artificial in nature, and believe me, I do know nature.

Sincerely,
Marlene

In a message dated 4/28/2018 8:01:03 PM US Eastern Standard Time, <va-bird...> writes:

Is it possible that this could have actually been a Barred Owl trying to
make contact with a missing mate or fledgling? Did you see a human being
way up on the mountain or driving along the roads to the north of where you
live?? Sounds like it was sort of dark and far away.