Date: 4/28/18 7:25 pm
From: Sameer Apte <sameerapte1...>
Subject: Re: Allegheny County - Northern Waterthrush, Great Crested Flycatcher and other quiet migrans
Tessa Rhinehart and I also participated in the big day competition. We did not walk the inner woods trails and sadly missed out on some of Bob, Michelle, and Ryan’s excellent sightings, but had the following highlights:
Purple Finch singing in the coniferous area near top of SHBP
Bank Swallow and Bald Eagle at Leetsdale Industrial Park (the latter mobbed by an Osprey)
At least 2 or 3 Ovenbirds at SHBP
A Yellow Palm Warbler at Snead’s (interestingly, our only Palm Warbler of the day)
White-crowned Sparrow calling in Sewickley Cemetery
Sharp-shinned Hawk immature flyover at SHBP.
Good birding,
Sameer Apte

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 28, 2018, at 10:07 PM, Ryan Tomazin <wvwarblers...> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>

> Some very interesting migrants during the Fern Hollow Nature Center's big day competition in the Sewickley/Sewickley Heights area (6:50 am to 3:50 PM):
>

> Ruby-crowned Kinglets - everywhere, as expected
>
> Louisiana Waterthrush - 4+ along Little Sewickley Creek
>
> Wood Thrush - Walker Park, only sang a few times
>
> Gray Catbird - Walker Park, saw it, but it never sang
>
> Yellow-throated Warbers - maybe 4 all day
>
> Yellow-rumped Warblers - numerous, as expected
>
> Spotted Sandpiper - 4-6 birds, in a few locations
>
> Horned Grebe - male on the Ohio River in superb breeding plumage
>
> American Redstart - 2 males seen all morning
>
> White-throated Sparrow - a number of birds in a number of locations
>
> Yellow Warbler - 1 silent male foraging in Walker Park
>
> Palm Warbler - Beaver Pond area
>
> Empidonax species - I didn't see this one, but my teammates did get very good looks at a flycatcher with a wing bar
>
> Yellow-throated Vireo - across the road from the Beaver Pond area
>
> Broad-winged Hawk - resident at Sewickley Heights Park was seen and hear numerous times
>
> Hooded Warbler - around the top parking lot area at Sewickley Heights Park, sang 3x only
>
> Osprey - fighting the wind over our picnic table at the top parking area at Sewickley Heights Park
>
> Ovenbird - in the vicinity of the Pine Tree Trail(?) at Sewickley Heights Park, only sang once
>
> Black-throated Green Warbler - in woods trails at top of Sewickley Heights Park, sang 4-5 times only
>
> Great Crested Flycatcher - " " "
>
> Hermit Thrush - " ", called once only
>
> Northern Waterthrush - at Sewickley Heights Park, in the forest pool behind the lawn near the top of the park; calling and seen
>

> Ryan Tomazin - Bridgeville, PA

Join us on Facebook!