Date: 4/28/18 5:19 pm
From: Curtis, Tom <tom.curtis...>
Subject: migrating jays
Saw something new today. I saw a flock of large dark birds flying toward me. My first impression was that it was big flock of grackles. But when they came nearer, it turned out to be a huge flock of blue jays. I would estimate between 75 and 100 birds. Most came in and landed briefly in a large oak, with first ones leaving as the ones behind landed. I've never seen so many jays at one time. Pretty neat. Other FOY (all visible at once from my back porch): a male northern oriole, a male summer tanager, and a male painted bunting; plus several male yellow-rumps in breeding plumage and several Swainson's thrushes. Chuck-wills-widows were calling last night.

Have fun,

Tom Curtis

Join us on Facebook!