Date: 4/28/18 1:37 pm
From: Gmail <bhaunts...>
Subject: [wisb] Saturday birding
I joined the group at Bay Beach Sanctuary for the morning "warbler" walk. As expected there were few migrants and it was cold. (FOY for me) were 5 Yellow-rumped Warblers. And that proved to be the only warblers this morning. Nice time but everyone is anxiously awaiting the first real waves of migrants. Maybe this upcoming week which is suppose to be much warmer with rain and storms.
This afternoon I made a run to the Buena Vista Grasslands. I started at Coddington Rd which had literally nothing. Good looking habitat but no birds. Driving a few roads in the grasslands yielded 2 Vesper Sparrows, 8 Brewer's Blackbirds and 2 Western Meadowlarks (all FOY). However the real surprise was a pair of Whooping Cranes feeding on a field along CTY W as I was in the process of leaving.
Daryl Tessen
Appleton,, WI