Date: 4/25/18 2:36 pm
From: 'Derek and Jeannette Lovitch' via Maine birds <maine-birds...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Fw: Bradbury Mountain State Park (25 Apr 2018) 7 Raptors

Bradbury Mountain State Park
Pownal, Maine, USA

| Daily Raptor Counts: Apr 25, 2018 |
| Species | Day's Count | Month Total | Season Total |
| Black Vulture | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| Turkey Vulture | 0 | 360 | 564 |
| Osprey | 2 | 241 | 241 |
| Bald Eagle | 0 | 18 | 73 |
| Northern Harrier | 0 | 67 | 70 |
| Sharp-shinned Hawk | 2 | 263 | 284 |
| Cooper's Hawk | 0 | 35 | 56 |
| Northern Goshawk | 0 | 2 | 5 |
| Red-shouldered Hawk | 0 | 28 | 74 |
| Broad-winged Hawk | 3 | 1109 | 1109 |
| Red-tailed Hawk | 0 | 77 | 180 |
| Rough-legged Hawk | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| Golden Eagle | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| American Kestrel | 0 | 212 | 221 |
| Merlin | 0 | 26 | 29 |
| Peregrine Falcon | 0 | 1 | 1 |
| Unknown Accipiter | 0 | 4 | 5 |
| Unknown Buteo | 0 | 4 | 5 |
| Unknown Falcon | 0 | 1 | 1 |
| Unknown Eagle | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| Unknown Raptor | 0 | 11 | 13 |
| Total: | 7 | 2459 | 2931 |

| Observation start time: | 08:00:00 |
| Observation end time: | 14:00:00 |
| Total observation time: | 5.58 hours |
| Official Counter | Zane Baker |
| Observers: | |

Visitors:
5 visitors.

Weather:
A breeze from the SSE kept temperatures a bit lower today, with highs justbreaking 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Drizzle and light rain began to fall duringthe second hour, but not quite to the point of justifying a cancellationof the count. Visibility came and went along with the falling water, withinfrequent bright patches appearing in the sky over the town of Pownal. By2:30 p.m. EST the drizzle was coming down at a steady rate, and the radarsuggested it wasn't going to be improving, so I closed up shop.

Raptor Observations:
Local Red-tails were out hunting, briefly. A couple of local Broad-wingswere displaying during the morning hours. One Broad-wing took offense to apassing Osprey, dropping from a great height to buzz the other bird. TheOsprey didn't appear to have any interest in sticking around to engage withthe Broad-wing, and continued to power its way north.

Non-raptor Observations:
Today started off with a bang. 2 minutes before 9:00 EST I heard some lessfamiliar flight calls, getting louder, approaching from the NE. I spotted aflock of about 10 birds as they descended towards the summit, stopping inthe top of a pine tree just off the Summit Trail. A group of Red Crossbillsto add to the species day-list. Despite the sound of leaf blowers from thepark staff, preparing for this coming weekend's annual event, Feathers OverFreeport, I was able to identify a total 32 species. Here's a link to theevent. You may need to copy and paste the address.http://www.maine.gov/dacf/parks/discover_history_explore_nature/activities/feathers_over_freeport.shtml

Predictions:
Tomorrow's count could get postponed in the morning, as rain andpotentially some fog, begins to move out, hopefully ending sometime aroundthe early afternoon. Some occasional showers could linger over the region.I'm hoping for at least a few hours in the afternoon, when conditions arethought to be improving. Hopefully conditions clear on the earlier side.

Report submitted by Jeannette Lovitch (<freeportwildbird...>)
Bradbury Mountain State Park information may be found at: www.freeportwildbirdsupply.com/bradbury-mountain-hawkwatch
More information at hawkcount.org: [Site Profile] [Day Summary] [Month Summary]