Date: 4/23/18 6:29 am
From: WayneF <waynef...>
Subject: [birders] Stranded loon in Canton
We got about 50 feet from the loon without it diving. The water is deep enough that I couldn't touch bottom with my canoe paddle. The water is kind of dirty, lots of algae, so I might not want to wade in it.

Multiple canoes might work. The problem it that if it surfaces near a canoe it immediately goes back down again, so fast that all you see is the splash.

One possibility that occurred to me is a long net, like a mist net, that could be stretched across the pond. Then someone in a canoe could drive it into the net, and retrieve it.

Explosive nets or tranquilizer darts clearly need someone who knows what they are doing.

I am about to go out of town for a few days, so I am not available to participate.

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<F255F379-14D3-45AB-B056-D01C8F92D727...>