Date: 4/21/18 4:13 pm
From: Tom Lawler <tjlawler...>
Subject: [COBOL] Sunriver Bird Walk Saturday April 21
I’m going to try to do better about posting the results of the Saturday bird walk at Sunriver Nature Center. Today’s walk had 10 participants including one very young birder. The walk lasted about 3 hours.

Notable sighting were Western Kingbird and Golden-crowned Kinglet. We also observed Prairie Falcon flying and being harassed by a dozen Ravens. Best sighting was a Great Gray Owl at an undisclosed location. For many new birders and this more seasoned one it is always a great find. RW Blackbirds and Tree Swallows are too abundant to count. There are still a good number of White-crowned and a few Golden-crowned Sparrows in the area.

As a side note the four Trumpter Cygnets are being removed next week to the new home down at Summer Lake WMA.

Contact Sunriver Nature Center to signup for the bird walks. They are at 9:00 most Saturdays.

67 records of 44 species seen or heard at 4 locations.

Mary McCallum Park:

Canada Goose
Green-winged Teal
Ring-necked Duck
Turkey Vulture
Red-tailed Hawk
Prairie Falcon
Killdeer
Hairy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Steller's Jay
Common Raven
Tree Swallow
Mountain Chickadee
Red-breasted Nuthatch
Pygmy Nuthatch
Golden-crowned Kinglet
American Robin
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Dark-eyed Junco
Red Crossbill

Sunriver Marina:

Canada Goose
Mallard
Cinnamon Teal
Green-winged Teal
Ring-necked Duck
Red-tailed Hawk
Steller's Jay
Tree Swallow
Barn Swallow
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Red-winged Blackbird
Brewer's Blackbird

Sunriver Nature Center:

Canada Goose
Trumpeter Swan
Wood Duck
Mallard
Ring-necked Duck
Bufflehead
Common Merganser
Pied-billed Grebe
Sora (Heard)
Wilson's Snipe
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Mourning Dove
Northern Flicker
Steller's Jay
Common Raven
Tree Swallow
Barn Swallow
Mountain Chickadee
Red-breasted Nuthatch
Pygmy Nuthatch
Brown Creeper (Heard)
Marsh Wren (Heard)
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
American Robin
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Savannah Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow
Golden-crowned Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Red-winged Blackbird
Brewer's Blackbird
House Finch
Pine Siskin

Sunriver Stables:

Western Kingbird

Tom

Birds are indicators of the environment. If they are in trouble, we know we'll soon be in trouble - Roger Tory Peterson