Date: 4/20/18 8:43 pm
From: Mike <gardenbug99...>
Subject: [COBOL] Sherman County Today, 4/20/18
Today I birded Sherman County west of Hwy 97 from Kent, South to Grass Valley on back roads, Finnegan, Ball, Twin Lakes and maybe a couple of others I missed the names. Also then went north to the Columbia below JD dam, and to Lepage park, but by far the birdiest area was the southern portion. Finnegan Rd may be the Meadow Lark Capital of the state. Also many Horned Larks. Only sparrow was one Savannah. Ponds on Ball Road and Twin Lakes are on private land but much of them are visible from main roads and had a surprising variety of ducks. Most surprising bird was one Wild Turkey on Ball road near the ponds. Ran across the road in front of me and before I could get my camera up he disappeared into tall sage brush. Seems like a pretty strange place for a turkey with only a few willows and some trees at farms but the closest was a couple of miles away. Listened for Grasshopper sparrows but heard none and seems a little early and my hearing is definitely suspect.
Noticeably absent the entire trip were any shorebirds, any swallows, only one Sparrow, a Savannah, one warbler,a butterbutt and no Turkey Vultures.

Birds in this Kent/Grass Valley Area

Canada Goose
Gadwall
American Wigeon
Mallard
Cinnamon Teal
N. Shoveler
N. Pintail
GW Teal
Redhead
Ring-neck Duck
Bufflehead
Common Merganser
Ruddy Duck
Ring-neck Pheasant - Heard only
Wild Turkey
Pied-bill Grebe
D.C. Cormorant
Bald Eagle, Immature
Swainsons Hawk
Red-tail Hawk
American Kestral
Coot
Mourning Dove
Says Phoebe
W. Kingbird
C. Raven
Horned Lark
Marsh Wren
European Starling
Savannah Sparrow
Song Sparrow
White-crown Sparrow
RW Blackbird
Brewers Blackbird
Western Meadowlark
House Sparrow

Moro Sewer Ponds

American Wigeon
Coot
California Jay
White-crown Sparrow
Spotted Towhee
W. Meadowlark

Columbia River below John Day Dam

Canada Goose
Ring-neck Duck
Lesser Scaup. Quite a few Scaup, but all I could see heads on were Lesser
Bufflehead
American White Pelican
Great Blue Heron
Osprey