Date: 4/16/18 4:04 pm
From: Dody <dody...>
Subject: Re: [birders] Vulture Lynching in Clinton
It’s been a long tough day for me, so please pardon me if you think I’m off base. I LOVE Turkey Vultures (TUVU). I have had permits to rehabilitate raptors and to keep non-releasables for educational purposes for 20 years. TUVU’s are one of my most favorite to work with. They are very smart (like crows), social (they fairly easily bond with their handler), and OMG do they do a lot of dirty and icky cleaning up in the wild. They fascinate audiences with a lot of their quirky adaptations (think different ways they can pee, why they pee on their legs, why they puke, and how fantastically strong their stomach juices are). Not to mention their nares that do such a great job of smelling rotting meat from the middle of a thermal 2-3,000 feet high!

I saw the effigy, but assumed it was a fake. Doesn’t mean I liked the idea, but I felt a bit better thinking it wasn’t real and if it worked, well OK.

SO much education needed…

Dody Wyman
River Raisin Raptor Center (now Michigan Avian Experience)
Manchester

On Apr 16, 2018, at 4:42 PM, Diane Pruden <dianepruden...> wrote:

​I hate to think of how they acquired the lynched vulture. ​Too bad that DNR did not provide a rubber replica.

Diane Pruden
Milford MI

On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 4:08 PM, Christopher Graham <grahamz...> <mailto:<grahamz...>> wrote:
Hi, Folks ---

A DNR nuisance animal control permit was issued for this case.

I was assured that someone in the field wildlife staff responded to a complaint, did go and look, did determine that the birds were roosting in an "inappropriate" place.

I was also assured that the manner they used to repel the birds is a method that works with this species.

Even so, I did express Umich Birder's dismay to the top Wildlife officials. There is not generally a very positive attitude out there when it comes to vultures.

Thank you.

Chris.

On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 9:40 AM, Jacques Mersereau <jacmer...> <mailto:<jacmer...>> wrote:
We hard back from the Conservation Officer.
Apparently the Village asked for and was granted a permit to do this gruesome 'scarecrow.'

Personally, I still do not approve. We have lots of vultures nearby my house in Sharon Township and they are amazing to watch and never have caused any trouble.

On Sun, Apr 15, 2018 at 10:38 PM, George Hammond <worldsmith...> <mailto:<worldsmith...>> wrote:

> On Apr 15, 2018, at 8:03 PM, Jacques Mersereau <jacmer...> <mailto:<jacmer...>> wrote:
>
> After hearing reports about the troubles - harassment - vultures are going through in Clinton, MI, I am disappointed and horrified to report that come cretin or cretins have killed and strung up a vulture on the Community Center on Tecumseh Rd.
>
> We are going to contact the Conservation Officer and have this crime looked into.

Hello Jacques and all,

Before you take up a lot of time, you might want to find out if that’s a real vulture. One of the methods recommended for driving off roosting vultures is to hang effigies of dead vultures in the place where they roost.
https://forestry.ca.uky.edu/vulture_deter <https://forestry.ca.uky.edu/vulture_deter>

You can buy “vulture scare decoys” online from several sources, e.g.
https://www.amazon.com/Vulture-Effigy-Deters-Vultures-Buzzards/dp/B075HLYDCG <https://www.amazon.com/Vulture-Effigy-Deters-Vultures-Buzzards/dp/B075HLYDCG>

There is some evidence that this works.
https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/birdstrike2008/16/ <https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/birdstrike2008/16/>

regards,

George

--
Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org <http://www.glc.org/>

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Jacques Mersereau
The Duderstadt Center
University of Michigan
Video Studio Managing Producer
2281 Bonisteel Blvd. <https://maps.google.com/?q=2281+Bonisteel+Blvd.+%0D%0AAnn+Arbor,+MI+%C2%A048109&entry=gmail&source=g>
Ann Arbor, MI 48109
< <jacmer...> <http://<jacmer...>/>>
734 647 6336

--
Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org <http://www.glc.org/>

Christopher Graham, ASLA
(734) 975-7800
<grahamz...> <mailto:<grahamz...>
<www.oakarbor...> <mailto:<oakarbor...>

--
Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org <http://www.glc.org/>

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to birders+<unsubscribe...> <mailto:birders+<unsubscribe...>.
To post to this group, send email to <birders...> <mailto:<birders...>.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/group/birders/ <https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/group/birders/>.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/CAEweo7N7h%2BJ8HALqdWS1w18XcdrUOzhQvf0gcR2ww%<3DVpzfkCAw...> <https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/CAEweo7N7h%2BJ8HALqdWS1w18XcdrUOzhQvf0gcR2ww%<3DVpzfkCAw...>?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<5588D7D0-79E1-4029-A4F9-B4B0EB3422EE...>