Date: 4/16/18 2:05 pm
From: Richard Veit <rrveit23...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] Migratory Bird Treaty Act changes
all of the examples presented in the magazine article are examples of the
following:

if you have a feather from an American robin in your house, you are
technically in violation of the MBTA, could certainly be fined and could
possibly go to jail. But such enforcement has never occurred (or been
successfully prosecuted) and that lack of enforcement applies to ALL the
examples in the article. The law has to be written in this all
encompassing way so that violators cannot say they didn't know it was a
migratory bird or they found it dead on the road or it hit their window.
The law needs to eliminate such loopholes so that actual violators can be
effectively prosecuted.

--
Richard R. Veit
Professor, Biology