Date: 4/15/18 11:54 am
From: Tait, Mag <mtait...>
Subject: Re: [birders] Even during an ice storm, Male Nuthatch feeds his mate
I will be watching mine! I never knew this behavior.
Mag

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 15, 2018, at 1:06 PM, Juliet Berger <juliet.berger...><mailto:<juliet.berger...>> wrote:

This weather has me indoors, feeder watching. A (smaller) male White-breasted Nuthatch came repeatedly to my mealworm feeder, selected one, and fed it to a much larger (though still dark-headed) female,on a tree trunk, while she quivered her wings like a juvenile, but with slightly less gusto! This was cool to watch. Apparently he will courtship feed her while she is the egg laying period and sometimes while she is incubating the eggs, after the full clutch is laid. I did some research, and some female White-breasted Nuthatches, perhaps the more mature ones, and the southern belles, have a head as dark as the male. I was confused there for a minute, since they both looked like males and it is way too early for young to be out and about. Also, males will not tolerate another nearby male, unless it were their own young.

Good (indoor) birding,

Juliet Berger

--
Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org<http://www.glc.org>