Date: 4/14/18 8:16 pm
From: Dave Nutter <nutter.dave...>
Subject: Re: [cayugabirds-l] Fwd: Tagged Great Egret
Frank (29X) was with 7 other Great Egrets close together near the observation tower at Tschache Pool in Montezuma NWR this afternoon about 2:15pm, the only egrets my party saw in our quick tour of the refuge. Only 1 of the egrets, not Frank, was actively foraging. The temperature was in the low 40s Fahrenheit and there was a brisk NW wind. People on the observation tower were cold. The egrets looked a bit cold, too, but they were partially sheltered by nearby cattail marsh. Great Blue Herons were much more active, flying over the pool, or scattered about to feed. There was no ice nor snow here, and the expansive pool has plenty of water available for foraging.

It’s cool to learn where “our” Great Egrets breed. We only see a few at a time and briefly in early April, but in late summer we accumulate scores of them.
- - Dave Nutter

> On Apr 14, 2018, at 10:08 PM, <metetlow...> wrote:
>
> Yesterday I posted a message about a Great Egret at Tschache pool that has a yellow tag 29x. Here is the response from Chip Weseloh about “Frank”. His email is attached and he (or I)would appreciate any information on future sightings.
>

>> From: "Weseloh, Chip (EC)" <chip.weseloh...>
>> Date: April 14, 2018 at 12:01:16 PM EDT
>> To: "<metetlow...>" <metetlow...>,
>
>> Oh my goodness, Mike!
>> 29X is a famous egret....his name among banders and spotters is "Frank". He/she has its own web page even. We banded it in 2012 at Nottawasaga Island, near Collingwood, Ontario, about 1.5 hrs by car NNW of Toronto, on the southern shore of Georgian Bay. That winter he was observed repeatedly on the waterfront property of David Sobotta in coastal North Carolina. He was re-observed each year, 2014-2017, during the breeding season at Nottawasaga and he has returned to David's place each winter....for 6 years!! It is fantastic that you saw him yesterday at the Montezuma Nat. Wldf. Refuge near Seneca Falls, NY. His fan club will be anxious to hear this. He is undoubtedly on his way back to his breeding colony. Is there any chance that you could go back after the ice storm to see if he is still there?

ARCHIVES:

http://ebird.org/content/ebird/