Date: 4/14/18 7:39 pm
From: 'Suzanne (Moses/Vedder) Mason' via Birders <birders...>
Subject: Re: [birders] Dark Morph Swainson’s Hawk. Lenawee County
I didn't take questions as critical or offensive, just inquisitive. I'm no expert at all, but I do have experience with Swainson's as I've birded sw AZ many years now. My parents live in Sierra Vista. I commented on Jeff's sighting because I thought it coincidence that I saw a raptor whose jizz made me quickly think Swainsons this week. I've not seen one in MI and would not expect it here. I've seen plenty of different morph Roughies here and it did not seem to be a Roughie. I will never know, lol!
Thanks for the input and questions! It makes us all better birders.
Suzanne

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Sat, Apr 14, 2018 at 9:22 PM, Juliet Berger<juliet.berger...> wrote: Thanks, Jeff, for reporting this sighting, and Elliott for asking the questions.I, too, would love to hear about the details of the bird, to learn about making the differential ID myself, should I ever see a Swainson's.Maybe Jeff will indulge us!We see "many"  Dark-morph Roughies in Washtenaw.  I saw at least two different plumaged birds just this winter.I would have a tough time with this ID, so I'd like to learn.Thanks, Birders!!Juliet Berger
On Sat, Apr 14, 2018 at 9:07 PM, Elliot Nelson <elliotkarlnelson...> wrote:

My apologies if my post sounded doubtful or argumentative as that was not my intention. I’ve always wondered what the key factors were to ID a dark morph Swainsons, and was hoping to learn more on how to do so. From what I hear Jeff has a ton of experience and Jeff was obviously using his vast experience, I just wasn’t aware of it. But I’d still love to know what features he was able to see to  make that call so I could learn to look for those myself to better my own ID skills.   Thanks and again apologies if I came off as offensive. Elliot
On Sat, Apr 14, 2018 at 8:24 AM 'Jeff Schultz' via Birders <birders...> wrote:

Greetings Birders,

About 15 minutes ago, I had an adult, dark morph Swainson’s Hawk, perched in the rain on a telephone pole on Paragon Rd and Wisner Hwy.

The bird flushed after a couple of minutes, before flying over the field to the east, where it hovered in two differed spots and made a pass at something on the ground ground before  continued its flight east.

I was figuring/hoping the strong South/Southwest the other day might have brought in some goodies for the weekend.

Saludos,

Jeff Schultz

Sent from my iPhone

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/a/ great-lakes.net/group/birders/ .
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/ great-lakes.net/d/msgid/ birders/5334A66E-26BD-4F2B- <843D-678243B79E87...>

Elliot NelsonSault Ste. Marie, <MI906-322-0353elliotkarlnelson...>

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/a/ great-lakes.net/group/birders/ .
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/ great-lakes.net/d/msgid/ birders/CAGKC2fJZw7bMo- JrqiZ9LGQ4xhekSXJx-65_ <N2RAifa2ZsOqMA...> com.

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org