Date: 4/14/18 1:16 pm
From: Elliot Nelson <elliotkarlnelson...>
Subject: Fwd: [birders] Dark Morph Swainson’s Hawk. Lenawee County
---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Elliot Nelson <elliotkarlnelson...>
Date: Sat, Apr 14, 2018 at 3:58 PM
To: <suzeev...> <suzeev...>
CC: Jeff Schultz <w8liftr40...>

Sorry what I meant is Swainsons always has some light in the undertail
coverts while rough legged can have dark or light. Also dark morph
Swainsons only make up about 10%-15% of the Swainsons population, so not
only is Swainsons rare in MI, dark morph would be extremely rare. Dark
morph rough legged are 30-40% of population in the east. Rough legs have
broader wingtips and longer tails relative to body. Swainsons more narrowed
winged and shorter tails. Note I’m not an expert in the two species but
these are a few of facts I’ve gleaned through viewing a lot of rough legged
and a few Swainsons and reading up a bit.

*Elliot Nelson*
Sault Ste. Marie, MI
906-322-0353
<elliotkarlnelson...>