Date: 4/14/18 12:53 pm
From: Elliot Nelson <elliotkarlnelson...>
Subject: Re: [birders] Dark Morph Swainson’s Hawk. Lenawee County
Just curious if either of you considered dark morph rough legged hawk.
Swainsons and rough legs are similar and rough legged is much more the
expected bird in Michigan. Swainsons is extremely rare. Of course rarities
are always possible.

There is a lot of plumage variation in Rough legged that most field guides
don’t fully capture. Everything from black to brown to brown and white.
Undertail coverts are a good indicator as they are dark in Rough legged and
light in Swainsons. There are some subtle body shape differences as well.
Would love to see any pics of you happen to have them. Thanks for sharing
your sightings!

Bird on!

Elliot

On Sat, Apr 14, 2018 at 2:33 PM 'Suzanne (Moses/Vedder) Mason' via Birders <
<birders...> wrote:

> I could swear I had one here in Newaygo Co on the 10th, but I couldn't get
> a good enough look to confirm. What made me think Swainson's was a glimpse
> of a dark bib, and it flew differently than the Red-tailed Hawk flying over
> the same field.
>
> Suzanne in Big Rapids
>
> Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
>
> On Sat, Apr 14, 2018 at 8:24 AM, 'Jeff Schultz' via Birders
> <birders...> wrote:
> Greetings Birders,
>
> About 15 minutes ago, I had an adult, dark morph Swainson’s Hawk, perched
> in the rain on a telephone pole on Paragon Rd and Wisner Hwy.
>
> The bird flushed after a couple of minutes, before flying over the field
> to the east, where it hovered in two differed spots and made a pass at
> something on the ground ground before continued its flight east.
>
> I was figuring/hoping the strong South/Southwest the other day might have
> brought in some goodies for the weekend.
>
> Saludos,
>
> Jeff Schultz
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> --