Date: 4/13/18 3:26 pm
From: Diane L via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Important! Briery Branch Gap (Red Crossbill Spot, Rockingham) - prescribed burn underway
From signs posted this week and a report from a National Forest Service Biologist, I understand the burn is probably underway -- it was planned for today and tomorrow, Saturday.  The site is probably not accessible.   So, not a good weekend to add Red Crossbill to your lists!
Press release described plans to burn about 6,000 acres at and NE of Briery Branch Gap/ W VA line.  The area might go north to Hone Quarry Ridge Rd and east towards the Valley & N. Forest boundary but I'm not sure of details.
On this map, the planned area is named "Hone Quarry": http://media.graytvinc.com/documents/Map+of+prescribed+burns+in+March+2018.pdf
Here's an older news story warning of the pending burn (before date was decided): http://www.whsv.com/content/news/Forest-Service-plans-controlled-burns-in-Rockingham-Augusta-counties-478421493.html
Apologies if the text format of this message is screwy.  And if links don't work, a search of this should lead you to both sites - "briery branch hone quarry burn"
Diane LepkowskiHarrisonburg