Date: 4/13/18 9:09 am
From: 'The \Nunn Guy\' via Colorado Birds <cobirds...>
Subject: [cobirds] Re: Pawnee Grasslands 10April2018 (Weld)
Hi all

From the Pawnee District Ranger ...

I would suggest calling the Sheriff office, when you see a true and
verifiable violation of law on the Pawnee, just like you would anywhere
else in the state. Most weekends we have a forest service patrol person out
there, looking for violations, but they can’t be everywhere, and
unfortunately, the public has no way to call them directly when they see
violations. If someone in the public sees a violation and has witnesses or
pictures, license plates and other information, and is willing to testify
in court, then we can often follow up on that after they contact us when
the office opens on the weekdays.

As far as roads are concerned. The county maintains a selection of roads
for their priority purposes, generally for people to get to their homes,
ranches and other commercial uses. The level and timing of maintenance can
vary. The Forest Service also only maintains a small number of roads to
higher standard mainly bird tour and Pawnee Buttes. Many of the remaining
roads are open to public use but they are maintained at different standards
for different needs. Sight-seeing and bird watching is a viable use of the
roads but not the priority. We have limited resources to maintain roads.
The road crew comes from another forest and is not scheduled to be here for
a few weeks yet, so early birders may have to contend with roads less
groomed. We are not a park. The road network is not intended to be
maintained for all vehicle types to use in all places (portions of road
96). We allow folks to use some of them if they wish to, but that does not
drive the decisions of which roads we spend limited resources on to
maintain at a higher standard.

Again, thanks for the info. I will pass it on to our patrol person so that
they can make sure they are spending some time in other areas and
especially along the bird tour route. Sometimes it is easy to get focused
around the shooting range when that many people are showing up.

Thanks Gary Lefko, Nunn
http://coloradobirder.club/