Date: 4/12/18 4:51 pm
From: RALPH ELDRIDGE <lightrae1...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] MACIAS SEAL ISLAND REPORT
Well it looks as if the spring migration is ramping up.
Notable movement started here with a significant wave of SONG SPARROWS and
our first SAVANNAH SPARROWS arriving Tuesday night and another wave
Wednesday night.
ROBINS have arrived in numbers and today I've seen BROWN CREEPERS, PHOEBES,
GOLDEN CROWNED KINGLETS, BROWN HEADED COWBIRDS, GRACKLES, RED WINGED
BLACKBIRDS, FLICKERS, KESTRELS, a MERLIN and a PEREGRINE chowing down on a
RAZORBILL.

Scattered DOUBLE CRESTED CORMORANTS have been seen mainly moving westward
and mainly late in the day.
A single CANADA GOOSE sat down and explored our cove for a few minutes
yesterday.
As noted at Point Lepreau, EIDERS are showing strong movement today.

Alcids have been ashore every evening for nearly a week, mainly RAZORBILLS,
but these latest days we are seeing increasing MURRES and the beginning of
the PUFFINS.
Last night was also the first time that any of the seabirds stayed
overnight.
That all being said, the Alcids are still a way from settling down to
nesting. All the arrivals to date are concentrated in about 20% of the
nesting terrain, what we generally consider the main colony. A handful of
birds landed towards the north end of the island today, the first arrivals
in any of the satellite colonies.