Date: 4/10/18 1:54 pm
From: Maeve Kim <maevulus...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] question about yarn for nesting birds
I did more research - and itís inconsistent!

Several on-line sources say that itís probably OK to offer yarn, twine or string made of natural fibers (raw cotton, hemp, sisal, wool) because they won't soak up and hold water in the nest (which manmade yarn does) and will eventually deteriorate naturally. However, other sites warn against any yarn. Check this out:

http://www.ourherbgarden.com/safe-bird-nesting-material.html

Maeve Kim
Jericho Center

On Apr 10, 2018, at 3:40 PM, Barbara Brosnan <bbrosnan...> wrote:

> My mother used to put colored yarn and string out for orioles and we kids
> frequently found these colorful pieces in their nests when they fell from
> our willow. I still put out short pieces of around 6 - 8"" or so in a wire
> suet cage, and the orioles who nest in our willow make good use of them. We
> have had a robin or two use them and one particularly beautiful moss-covered
> phoebe nest was lined with bright fuchsia yarn my daughter-in-law gave me.
> We often see other birds stripping nesting materials from "our" orioles'
> nests once they are done with it.
>
> About 7 or 8 years ago another type of nesting material was stolen by the
> orioles from an old plastic blue tarp we had over a wood pile. For the
> following three years those bright blue shreds were recycled into another
> oriole nest and into the nests of other birds. One piece is still stuck in
> a hydrangea tree in our garden. We have not seen any tragedies so far.
> Good luck to you and the birds.
>
> Barbara Brosnan
> Weybridge

Join us on Facebook!