Date: 4/8/18 8:17 pm
From: psaracin <psaracin...>
Subject: Re: [cayugabirds-l] Ospreys
Candace is there anyone you can give that feedback to?Pete Sar

-------- Original message --------From: Candace Cornell <cec222...> Date: 4/7/18 9:55 PM (GMT-05:00) To: Robyn Bailey <rb644...>, Carol Keeler <carolk441...>, cayugabirds-l <cayugabirds-l...> Subject: Re: [cayugabirds-l] Ospreys
Plastic saucers called nesting dishes are used extensively by utility companies throughout Florida to attract ospreys and eagles. Now, the National Grid is using them in Central NY. Unfortunately, the installers of the new nest dish off Rt. 89 at the Oak Orchard Campground does not appear to be seeded. It will be a hard beginning to the mating season to have to rebuild your nest from scratch without the stimuli of the seeded twigs.

I don't care for these nesting dishes for several reasons. I don't think the dishes have enough drainage holes for severe rains storms. They also do not provide a perch from which the adults keep guard of the nest. With no real sides, these dishes do not prevent nest from blowing off the platform.​​​Eyes to the Sky,Canace​
On Fri, Apr 6, 201

8 at 10:59 AM, Robyn Bailey <rb644...> wrote:
Hi Carol,

I'm told this is a National Grid "nest", not NYSEG, and that the disk is specifically made for eagles/ospreys. It might even be made out of fiberglass (rather than metal), as it is a commercial product popular with the southern utility companies who have LOTS of Ospreys.

That's all I know about it right now. But, I would be interested in any reports on whether or not it is accepted and successful.

Best,

Robyn Bailey