Date: 4/8/18 11:48 am
From: Kent McFarland <kmcfarland...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] VT eBird nears 275K checklists!
Hi Susan,
eBird is one giant database with currently about 39 portals to it (see list
at https://ebird.org/about/portals). Vermont was the very first portal way
back in 2003! The idea for portals is that it allows for regional focus and
sort of ownership, or special project focus (such as breeding bird
atlases), while adding data to the overall worldwide eBird database. You
can declare Vermont eBird as your regional portal in the mobile app too and
we hope many here in Vermont will do so! Here's how. Open the app and you
will see a little cog wheel on the screen that you can touch to go to
settings. Here you will see a section called PORTAL. Hit the arrow on the
right and scroll down to Vermont eBird and select it. That's it! One can
add eBird data via any regional portal no matter if it is Vermont eBird or
Texas eBird and it ends up in the same giant eBird database and assigned to
the proper place. So if you birded in Texas, but you ended up entering the
data via the Vermont eBird portal, no worries! It works all the same.

Thanks.
Kent

____________________________

Kent McFarland
Vermont Center for Ecostudies
PO Box 420 | Norwich, Vermont 05055
802.649.1431 x201

<http://vtecostudies.org/>

On Sun, Apr 8, 2018 at 9:54 AM, Susan Tiholiz <stiholiz...> wrote:

> Hi Kent,
>
> That’s really impressive! It also brings up a question I’ve had: what’s
> the difference between entering checklists on eBird vs. VT eBird? Related:
> when using the eBird mobile app, is there a way to “connect” to VT eBird?
> Does any of this matter??
>
> Thanks!
>
> Susan Tiholiz
> 214-478-7395 (cell)
>

> > On Apr 6, 2018, at 4:18 PM, Kent McFarland <kmcfarland...>
> wrote:
> >
> > Vermont eBird is about to reach a major milestone. In our 15th year, we
> are
> > poised to reach 275,000 complete bird checklists. With less than 500
> > checklists to go, who will add that magical one? The prize, besides our
> > thanks and appreciation? An official eBird baseball cap will be sent to
> the
> > main observer. In just a decade-and-a-half, the checklists that bird
> > watchers have shared have helped make Vermont eBird the largest citizen
> > science biodiversity project in the State and around the world.
> >
> > We’ve had 6,660 Vermont eBirders submit over 274,500 checklists,
> > representing all 384 species of birds ever reported from Vermont. Birders
> > have added over 30,000 images and over 1,400 sound recordings to Vermont
> > checklists. And we join the more than 390,000 eBirders have submitted
> over
> > 500 million bird sightings on nearly 28 million complete checklists,
> > representing 10,371 species across every country in the world!
> >
> > ​Learn more, follow cool links, and see what a map of all observations
> > looks like on the Vermont eBird Blog -
> > https://ebird.org/vt/news/countdown-to-275000-
> checklists-on-vermont-ebird
> >
> > Good eBirding!