Date: 4/7/18 3:25 pm
From: Derb Carter <derbc...>
Subject: Palmetto Peartree Preserve
Management of PPP over the past 15 or so years has expanded the red-cockaded woodpecker population from 23 to 33 active clusters or potentially breeding groups. PPP is part of an "essential support population" for ultimate recovery of this endangered species. I would be glad to provide anyone interested copies of (1) the memorandum between NCDOT and USFWS providing for translocation of the woodpeckers from PPP but allowing NCDOT to retain the mitigation credits and (2) the memorandum between NCDOT and NCWRC providing for transfer of PPP to the WRC and specifically relieving the WRC of any responsibility to continue to manage PPP for woodpeckers. These are public documents obtained from NCDOT under the Public Records Act. I sent these directly to Frank so he can evaluate whether it is real or fake news.

PPP is on the NC Birding Trail and is a special place for birding in northeastern NC and I thought this would be of interest to birders on Carolinabirds. But this topic apparently hits a nerve with some so this will be my last post.

Derb Carter

> Management of PPP over the past 15 or so years has expanded the red-cockaded woodpecker population from 23 to 33 active clusters or potentially breeding groups. PPP is part of an "essential support population" for ultimate recovery of this endangered species. I would be glad to provide anyone interested copies of (1) the memorandum between NCDOT providing for translocation of the woodpeckers from PPP but allowing NCDOT to retain the mitigation credits and (2) the memorandum between NCDOT and NCWRC providing for transfer of PPP to the WRC and relieving the WRC of any responsibility to manage for the woodpeckers on PPP. These are public documents obtained under the Public Records Act. I sent these directly to Frank so he can evaluate whether it is real or fake news.
>
> PPP is on the NC Birding Trail and a special place for birding in northeastern NC and I thought it would of interest to subscribers on Carolinabirds. But this discussion apparently hits a nerve with some so this will be my last post.
>
> Derb Carter

Join us on Facebook!