Date: 4/6/18 1:39 pm
From: Jim Berry <jim.berry3...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Trespassing on Raymond land in Ipswich
A member of the Raymond family has emailed me voicing concerns about
birders (and I ascertained that they are indeed birders) trespassing on
family land, presumably when looking for rare geese.  The Raymond family
does not own all the land in the huge quadrangle bounded by Essex,
Northgate, Argilla, and Heartbreak Roads, but they do own a lot of it.
Several years ago the town purchased an Agricultural Preservation
Restriction on much of the farm with a trail right-of-way through it for
public access.  I have used that trail many times, and it offers views
of many parts of the property.

However, the trial signs say clearly that wandering off the trails is
prohibited, as this is a working farm with many animals and other
operations.  YOU MUST STAY ON THE TRAIL WHEN WALKING THROUGH THE FARM.
There is no other access to the Raymond land.  And though I have long
had permission from its owner (not the Raymond family) to cross the
field on Northgate Rd. to look for birds, that permission does not
extend to other birders.  Consequently, I seldom use it myself and if I
need to I will stop using it so as not to set an example for others.
Remember: ALL THE LAND IN THE QUADRANGLE IS PRIVATELY OWNED AND NONE OF
IT IS PUBLIC.  Thus you are safer viewing any part of it from the roads,
as most of us do, and not assuming that as birders we are somehow immune
from prosecution.

This is a serious issue.  The Raymond family is sensitive about trespass
and they may close the property to visitors entirely if trespassers
continue to violate the rules as laid out in the signs they have
posted.  If you are a responsible birder, please hear this and act
accordingly.  Unfortunately we seem to have some among us who do not
observe no-trespassing signs.

Jim Berry Ipswich, Mass. <jim.berry3...>

http://www.avg.com

Join us on Facebook!