Date: 4/6/18 5:45 am
From: Gregory Hanisek via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Early or too early?
Very interesting Ryan. I took a look in Bent (Arthur Cleveland Bent, Life
Histories of North American xxx chose your bird group, in many volumes). He
notes one instance where a Purple Finch in Mass. combined notes of American
Goldfinch and Towhee into its song. At the other end of the spectrum, I've
noticed that in fall, when full song has waned, Purple Finches give a
shortened song very reminiscent of a Blue-headed Vireo. I've learned that
when I hear what seems like a very late Blue-headed Vireo I need to look
for a Purple Finch as the source. I was very excited just now, when
rummaging through Bent,to find that he actually recognizes this as a song
type that he calls - wait for it - "the vireo song!"

Ryan's observation fits well into Steve Broker's Atlas post a short while
ago where he extols the virtue and necessity of slowing down, looking and
listening.

Greg