Date: 4/4/18 1:22 pm
From: David Weaver <cygnus-dkw...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Scotland Rd & Plum Island - 04-04-2018
David Moon and I led today's Wednesday Morning Birding program out of
Joppa Flats Education Center, first to Common Pasture on Scotland Road
and then on to Plum Island.  Skies were overcast with occasional mist
and some fog; temps stayed in low 40s; and wind was NW/2-5 mph.

Our list:

Scotland Road (Common Pasture) --
SNOW GOOSE (3) - 2 white juvs & 1 white ad; in pasture adjacent to and
east of wet meadow.
Canada Goose - common.
EURASIAN WIGEON (1) - male; with American Wigeons.
American Wigeon (~ 30)
American Black Duck (4)
Northern Shoveler (2) - pair.
Green-winged Teal (~ 20)
Great Blue Heron (1)
Glossy Ibis (11) - in pasture adjacent to and east of wet meadow.
Wilson's Snipe (~ 25)
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
American Robin
European Starling
Song Sparrow (1)
Northern Cardinal (1)
Red-winged Blackbird - common.
Common Grackle - a few.

Plum Island --
Canada Goose - common.
Mute Swan (3) - Bill Forward Pool.
Gadwall (5) - pannes.
American Black Duck - common.
Mallard (~ 6)
Northern Shoveler (11!) - North Pool Overlook.
RING-NECKED DUCK (2) - drakes; NPO.
Common Eider (~ 15) - Emerson Rocks.
White-winged Scoter (3) - 1, one ocean; 2, seven ocean.
Black Scoter (~ 21) - ~ 9, one ocean; ~ 12, Emerson Rocks.
Long-tailed Duck (~ 60) - one ocean.
Bufflehead (1) - hen, BFP.
Red-breasted Merganser (4) - pannes.
Wild Turkey (10) - South Field.
Common Loon (2) - 1, one ocean; 1, seven ocean.
Horned Grebe (8) - 2, one ocean; 6, seven ocean (several moving into
breeding plumage).
Red-necked Grebe (1) - one ocean.
Great Cormorant (1) - flyby, seven ocean.
Great Egret (~ 15) - various.
Osprey (2) - Pines nesting platform.
Northern Harrier (1) - over North Marsh.
Cooper's Hawk (1) - apparent male; just n. refuge gate.
Piping Plover (3) - seven beach, seen from Bar Head vicinity.
Killdeer (2)
Herring Gull
Great Black-backed Gull
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Belted Kingfisher (1) - flying south over marsh n. end S-curves.
Downy Woodpecker (1) - shrubs roadside, s. lot #2.
Northern Flicker (2) - s. end South Field.
Merlin (1) - flying south at n. end S-curves.
Blue Jay (2)
American Crow (1)
American Robin
Northern Mockingbird (5)
European Starling
Song Sparrow - common.
Northern Cardinal (3)
Red-winged Blackbird - common.
Common Grackle - common.
Brown-headed Cowbird (3) - S-curves.

We will meet again next week back at Joppa Flats at 0930 for Wednesday
Morning Birding. For more information about Joppa Flats programs, call
David Moon or Dave Larson at 978-462-9998.

Dave Weaver
Manchester, MA 01944
<cygnus-dkw...>

Join us on Facebook!