Date: 4/3/18 1:09 pm
From: Janice Frye via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: Re: [VA-bird] Hog Island WMA--intense security?
The level headed one is pretty accurate for those who have no ill intent or
weapons residue in the car. :-)

There is no "brandishing" by these people who are simply doing a job. Some
of them will gladly make an attempt to update you on what has been seen
recently and even who went in before you. They are very nice and
professional. That language above was ridiculous and inflammatory. PRO
TIP: Take time to use their restroom and hand off your ID on the way in.
They will finish about the time you do. No facilities in the WMA. They
don't represent a danger to anyone who isn't a criminal, and they are quite
familiar with birders. 757-365-2346 was their number last time if you want
to call ahead to find out if there has been a change in threat level that
closes down access (have never seen this happen).

Time constraints arise with size of the property and number of birds
present, not security. Bird along the road all the way to the water.
There is a loop around impoundments that starts at the parking area by the
observation platform and also follows the river. Side trails can be
explored if you have time. Going to the water at the first fishing area
gives a view of a jetty that pelicans and gulls seem to favor.

Jan
Richmond, VA