Date: 4/3/18 10:31 am
Subject: Re: likely Connecticut Warbler, Mt. Mitchell, NC
My best guess is that the student saw a Blue-headed Vireo, from the side --
white eye ring, gray head, and the "extensive yellow" could be the flanks
of the bird as seen from the side.

Not only is Steve correct that Connecticut Warbler is a rare and very late
migrant -- typically from about May 5-25 -- but mountain birders will tell
you that our migrants like a Connecticut Warbler do not stop over in spring
at overly high elevations, like the spruce-fir zone. These are barren
grounds for migrants at this time of year, and only permanent residents,
winter residents, or newly arriving summer residents (like the vireo) are
present in the spruce-fir zone in spring. Migrating songbirds, in spring,
drop down into places that are heavily vegetated -- and that means they are
found in valleys and lower slopes, and mid-slopes later in May.

Harry LeGrand
Raleigh

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 12:10 PM, "Shultz, Steven" <carolinabirds...>
wrote:

> Common Yellowthroat?
>
> Not saying that a CT could not happen, but they tend to be one of the
> latest warblers to migrate, not arriving until May, and being very rare
> even then. They “should” all be sending in another month’s rent for their
> winter homes at this point.
>

> Steve Shultz
>
> Apex, NC

Join us on Facebook!