Date: 4/3/18 7:07 am
From: David Rice via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: Re: [VA-bird] Hog Island WMA--intense security?
Shea, if you would respond privately, I will be happy to give you my experience on Hog Island.
David Rice <davidfrice...>

On Tuesday, April 3, 2018, 9:41:41 AM EDT, Shea Tiller via VA-bird <va-bird...> wrote:

Hello all.

I'm hoping to go to Hog Island WMA at some point soon if not this week, and
I've read some rather fiery language about the security there. I don't
really know anything about this type of search procedure myself, so this
raised a couple of questions. Here are some of the less favorable things
I've read:

"*Bomb check while being openly eyed by a trigger happy guard with auto
weapon.*"

"*they have automatic weapons and like to show them off.*"

And here is a more level-headed text:

"*you will be checked by security, which means getting out of your vehicle,
getting your ID copied/checked, vehicle inspected for bombs, weapons or
powder residue by security guards brandishing heavy weaponry.*"

So what exactly does this entail? I'd like to here some birder accounts of
this searching. If it takes a really long time then I'll know not to go
there when there's a time constraint.

And now for the birding; I have a good idea of how to bird Hog Island from
maps, but are there any specific recommendations that folks have?

Thanks and great birding!

Shea
*** You are subscribed to VA-bird as <davidfrice...> If you wish to unsubscribe, or modify your preferences please visit https://mailman.listserve.com/listmanager/listinfo/va-bird ***