Date: 4/2/18 8:16 am
From: CHELEMER, MARC J <mc2496...>
Subject: Re: [JERSEYBI] The Plight of the Early Bird?
I would be interested to know how long a typical bird can go without food (and is it a function of size? Meaning, can a Crow go longer than a Golden-crowned Kinglet without caloric intake?).

We know that shorebirds can go for long periods without food (the nine-day non-stop flight of Bar-tailed Godwits from Alaska to New Zealand, e.g.). Does that translate at all to neotropicals? Do they "fatten up" before heading north, evolutionarily programmed for just this instance...arriving only to find that food sources are scarce or only occasional?

Given that this snow is supposed to melt fairly quickly, I wonder if recently-arrived Phoebes could live for a day or two without food. I imagine they could, as long as they've got water to drink.

Marc Chelemer
Tenafly