Date: 4/1/18 7:52 pm
From: Stephen Broker via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Connecticut Bird Atlas Training Session April 19, 2018
To all CT Birders,

Craig Repasz has scheduled a Connecticut Bird Atlas training session to be held on Thursday, April 19 at the Whitney Center, Cultural Arts Center (200 Leeder Hill Drive, Hamden), beginning at 7:00 P.M.. I will be there to help answer questions and discuss atlas breeding codes and safe dates. We encourage atlas field volunteers from any atlas region, including the New Haven Region, to attend this session. Do continue to refer to the atlas webpage, ctbirdatlas.org <http://ctbirdatlas.org/>, for essential information, including the slide presentation used by Craig in the first training session already held.

Later, I’ll post some comments about “safe dates” for breeding evidence. The atlas already has breeding confirmed for a few species of birds, and as we move into April some additional species join the list of those potentially providing evidence of probable or confirmed breeding. Keep in mind that many species do not begin breeding until mid to late May and June. For now, do check the posted safe dates, especially for ducks and most song birds. Safe dates offer general guidelines, they differ from state to state, and they are secondary to actual field observations, which can provide evidence of probable or confirmed breeding outside these dates.

Familiarity with “egg dates” also is helpful for providing guidance for field work, and published egg dates can be found in some previous breeding bird atlases. I continue to refer to Mass BBA1 (available online) for this information. More to follow.

[To share eBird reports with the atlas, enter CTbirdatlas in your share list.]

Steve Broker
Cheshire