Date: 4/1/18 12:57 pm
From: Gail Mackiernan <katahdinss...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Black-headed Gull continues at Back River 4/1
We were up there around noon today, and the Black-headed was giving good views from the Reclamation Site on Diamond Point Rd. Initially it was with a flock on Bonaparte’s on the water about 100 yards out, then flew over closer and fed just in front of the reed bed directly across the river, immediately downstream of the Rt. 695 bridge. A Caspian Tern was also seen. We drove around to various vantage points up and downstream from the Eastern Ave. bridge and estimate about 4-500 Bonaparte’s Gulls on the river.

Barry had a brief view of what he is sure was a first-cycle Little Gull swimming in the more distant flock- showing a great deal of dark brown in the folded wing - but it disappeared into the milling flock and could not be relocated.

Gail Mackiernan and Barry Cooper
Colesville, MD

Sent from my iPad