Date: 3/30/18 10:45 am
From: Tom Lawler <tjlawler...>
Subject: Re: [COBOL] In reply to Tom Crabtree
To all,

Let’s make this clear about what is posted to this list.

“Central Oregon Birders Online is a site to report interesting birds that you are observing in the Central Oregon region (typically Crook, Deschutes and Jefferson counties, but surrounding counties are welcome as well). Resident Central Oregon birders are also welcome to post their interesting birding adventures in other Oregon Counties when it relates to a sponsored event. This could be a Birding Blitz, raptor survey, ECAS trip and so on. To see other regional Oregon listserves visit: http://www.orbirds.org/obolguidelines.html

What should be posted on COBOL? Your bird related recent observations of common, uncommon or rare birds in the area. Other subscribers want to know what is being seen in the area; no bird species is too common. Useful tips on identification of bird species is also OK. Please sign your name to your posting so we know who you are. Your email address might give no indication to your real name!

If you have photographs or recordings to share, please post a link to those files on another website rather than post directly to COBOL. Messages have a size limit and some subscribers are on slow connections. Large posts with photos slow down their receiving COBOL messages (and will also get you a warning from the moderator).

Bird viewing related field trips and meetings are also OK to post to COBOL, but please AVOID commercial-based promotions. If you want to post something about a commercial-based event please ask the moderator if it is appropriate It is appropriate to post information about the Dean Hale Woodpecker Festival and other birding festivals taking place in the state of Oregon, capture/release of injured birds and so on.

COBOL is for listing bird sightings, not a soapbox to voice your views on cats, conservation, global climate change, religion, politics, political situations and militia takeovers. There are much better sites online for those topics.”

So if you want to post about the Oregon coast use OBOL

Regards,

Tom

COBOL Administrator