Date: 3/28/18 12:22 pm
From: David Weaver <cygnus-dkw...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Scotland Road, Newbury, & Plum Island - 03-28-2018
David Larson and I led today's edition of Wednesday Morning Birding out

of Joppa Flats Education Center, first to the Scotland Road pastures and
then on to Plum Island.  It turned out to be a beautiful day, the best
we've had in some time -- overcast to partly cloudy, 45-50 degrees F,
winds variable 2-5 mph.  Lots of ducks in the Common Pasture, but pretty
quiet on Plum Island.

Our list:

Scotland Road --
Canada Goose
Mute Swan (2) - ads, pond at jct of Scotland Rd & HIghfield St.
American Wigeon (~ 30)
American Black Duck - common.
Mallard (~ 35)
Northern Shoveler (2) - pr.
Northern Pintail (6)
Green-winged Teal (~ 200)
Ring-billed Gull
Herring Gull
American Crow
Black-capped Chickadee (2)
Tufted Titmouse (1)
Song Sparrow (2)
White-throated Sparrow (1)
Northern Cardinal (1)
Red-winged Blackbird - common.
Common Grackle - a few.

Plum Island --
Canada Goose
American Black Duck - common.
Mallard - common.
Northern Pintail (8) - BFP.
Green-winged Teal (4) - BFP.
White-winged Scoter (~ 12) - n.end.
Long-tailed Duck (~ 8) - n. end.
Bufflehead (~ 8) - various.
Common Goldeneye (8) - 6, PI River; 2, n. end.
Common Merganser (~ 8) - flyby over mouth of Merrimack R.
Red-breasted Merganser (~ 15) - various.
Red-throated Loon (1) - n.end.
Common Loon (~ 10) - n. end.
[Bald Eagle (2) - 1 4th yr, 1 3rd yr; perched edge of Merrimack across
from and east of PI Airport.]
Northern Harrier (1) - female, w. main panne perched on staddle.
Red-tailed Hawk (1) - spooked from tree roadside, n. end S-curves.
Killdeer (3)
Ring-billed Gull
Herring Gull
Great Black-backed Gull (1)
Rock Pigeon - PI bridge.
Snowy Owl (2) - 1, on vegetative mound at water's edge due w. parking
lot #2; 1, perched atop Coast Guard station n. end.
Blue Jay (4)
American Crow - common.
American Robin
European Starling
American Tree Sparrow (5)
Song Sparrow - common.
Dark-eyed Junco (3)
Northern Cardinal (2)
Red-winged Blackbird - common.
Common Grackle - common.
House Finch (1) - female, Hellcat.

We will meet again next week back at Joppa Flats at 0930 for Wednesday
Morning Birding. For more information about Joppa Flats programs, call
David Moon or Dave Larson at 978-462-9998.

Dave Weaver
Manchester, MA 01944
<cygnus-dkw...>

Join us on Facebook!