Date: 3/26/18 9:20 pm
From: Josh <opihi...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] Re: [BostonBirds] Great Pond Highlights
Don’t forget the one in Hatfield! A Hampshire Bird Club trip found a Cackling Goose there about 10 days ago, among several other waterfowl species:

https://ebird.org/hotspot/L527046 <https://ebird.org/hotspot/L527046>

eBird has hotspots for the Randolph, Eastham, and Falmouth Great Ponds (as well as a few in Maine and one in New Hampshire, among others) but I don’t see one for Weymouth yet…. Randolph’s has the longest species list of the four, 200 species vs. 144 for Hatfield’s:

https://ebird.org/hotspot/L455487 <https://ebird.org/hotspot/L455487>

https://ebird.org/hotspot/L622088 <https://ebird.org/hotspot/L622088>

https://ebird.org/hotspot/L835995 <https://ebird.org/hotspot/L835995>

Plus, just across the state line, a Varied Thrush was being reported from Connecticut’s Great Pond State Forest a few days ago:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S43859895 <https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S43859895>

But the abundance of Great Ponds in MA doesn’t throw me quite as much as our having two different Leverett Ponds, only one of which is actually in the town of Leverett….

https://ebird.org/hotspot/L782163 <https://ebird.org/hotspot/L782163>

https://ebird.org/hotspot/L248222 <https://ebird.org/hotspot/L248222>

Good birding,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose, Ph.D.
Amherst, MA
http://bugguide.net/user/view/2399
https://www.facebook.com/opihi

> On Mar 26, 2018, at 9:28 PM, Glenn d'Entremont <gdentremont1...> wrote:
>
> This is the one in Randolph/Braintree. There are so many Great Ponds in the area (Weymouth, Falmouth, Eastham are ones which come to mind quickly).
>

> Glenn
>

> Glenn d'Entremont: <gdentremont1...> Stoughton, MA
>
>> On March 26, 2018 at 8:57 PM 'Paul Peterson' via Boston Birds wrote:
>>

>> I birded from 1:45-6:15.
>>
>> Common Loon 1
>> Red-necked Grebe 2 continuing
>> Pied-billed Grebe 1 with aythia species
>> Great Blue Heron 1
>> Canvasback 1 continuing
>> Ring-necked Duck 100
>> Greater Scaup 25
>> Common Merganser 60
>> Hooded Merganser 4
>> Red-breasted Merganser 1
>> Bufflehead 18
>> Common Goldeneye 8
>> Turkey Vulture 3
>> Red-tailed Hawk 2
>> buteo sp. 1
>> Belted Kingfisher 1
>> Golden-crowned Kinglet 3
>>
>> Paul Peterson
>> <Petersonpaul63...> <mailto:<Petersonpaul63...>
>> Boston
>>
>> --

Join us on Facebook!