Date: 3/25/18 8:20 am
From: Laura dlF <anhinga3...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] BBC Vernal Equinox Walk 03/24/18
Hi MassBirders!

Yesterday afternoon, I led my Vernal Equinox Walk for the Brookline Bird
Club. We birded Cape Ann stopping at Jodrey Fish Pier, Eastern Point, Niles
Pond, Back Shore, Granite Pier, Andrews Point, and Halibut Point. The
temperature held at about 45df with light winds. We tallied 45 species for
the Club list. Following is a complete list of the birds we saw:

Brant - 14 (Gloucester Harbor)

Canada Goose - 350

Gadwall - 2 (Eastern Point)

American Black Duck -7

Mallard - 24

Greater Scaup - 1 (Niles Pond)

Common Eider - 122

Harlequin Duck - 65 (Granite Pier/Andrews Point)

Surf Scoter - 3 (Bass Rocks)

White-winged Scoter - 25 (Jodrey Fish Pier)

Black Scoter - 5 (Andrews point)

Long-tailed Duck - 6

Bufflehead - 60

Common Goldeneye - 18

Red-breasted Merganser - 37

Wild Turkey - 3 (Halibut Point)

Common Loon - 15

Horned Grebe - 1

Red-necked Grebe -3

Great Cormorant - 14

Turkey Vulture - 2

Purple Sandpiper- 5 (Granite Pier)

Ring-billed Gull - 36

Herring Gull - 70

Great Black-backed Gull - 14

Thick-billed Murre -1 (Jodrey Fish Pier in the area where the boats are
docked)

Black Guillemot - 5

Rock Pigeon - 88

Mourning Dove - 28

Blue Jay - 3

American Crow - 13

Fish Crow - 1

Black-capped Chickadee - 9

Tufted Titmouse - 3

White-breasted Nuthatch - 1

American Robin - 27

Northern Mockingbird - 1

Song Sparrow - 9

Dark-eyed Junco - 1 (Singing!)

Northern Cardinal - 2

Red-winged Blackbird - 33

Common Grackle - 16

American Goldfinch - 5

House Sparrow - 28

Happy Spring!

Laura H. de la Flor

Salem, MA

"So much to learn about Mother Nature ..
... always racing with father time." (lhf)

Join us on Facebook!