Date: 3/22/18 12:24 pm
From: Rich's Email <rwolfert...>
Subject: Re: [JERSEYBI] This is why they are called Red-BELLIED Woodpeckers. :-) (photo)
Since they are year-round residents in our yard, we get excellent looks at them. That portion of the belly looks pinkish or somewhat peachy at times, but not ‘red’. But I know that they will never, ever rename this bird the Peach bellied Woodpecker, or the Pink-bellied Woodpecker, even though they are appropriately descriptive names.
Rich Wolfert,
East Brunswick, New Jersey

Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 22, 2018, at 9:03 AM, B.G. Sloan <bgsloan3...> wrote:
>
> I used to wonder how Red-bellied woodpeckers got their name, until one day
> I got this straight-on view. They get their name from a not-too-obvious
> field mark which is usually hard to see. Note faint wash of red on the
> belly:
>
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/40237366034/
>
> Bernie Sloan
> Highland Park