Date: 3/22/18 9:06 am
From: Dave Oster <000004150120c36e-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: [JERSEYBI] This is why they are called Red-BELLIED Woodpeckers. :-) (photo)
Years ago I remember hearing about a naming protocol which held that the common name of a species should be based on subtle, individualistic
features rather than more obvious and widespread ones. Roseate tern and Red-bellied woodpecker were given as two examples--Roseate with a hint of rosy hue on under-parts during breeding season and the faint red wash of the Red-bellied. The intent of this protocol was to avoid duplicating more obvious features--white-breasted this and white-breasted that, etc.

Of course most birds are not named according to this protocol--common names are really a hodge-podge of historic appellations, common usage and insistent re-naming by the professionals.

For Red-bellied, I don't know that Red-napped Woodpecker would be best since there is already a Red-napped Sapsucker. I've sometimes thought that "Very Loud Woodpecker would be the most appropriate name!"

Dave Oster
Verona