Date: 3/13/18 9:26 am
From: kevygudguy via Colorado Birds <cobirds...>
Subject: [cobirds] Interesting Variations of Common Birds at the Monte Vista Crane Festival, Rio Grande County - Plus Tidbits
Hello Fellow Birders,
   Saw a few interesting variants during the MVCF this past weekend:
-  A melanisitic Lesser Sand Hill Crane whose neck and head feathers looked 'terrible'.  Speculation was that it might have feather lice.
-  A white-headed Redhead duck.  This year-old female was a real trick to identify; my companion and I finally pegged her as a partially leucistic female Redhead because she was in the company of a standard male Redhead and her body feathers were consistent with a female Redhead.  But how, you might ask, did we know she was a year-old bird?  Well, when I described her to a USFWS person who works on the Refuge he said he'd banded a juvenile female Redhead with a white head last year!
- A Cinammon/Blue-winged Teal hybrid was seen and photographed by several people (not me, I just saw the photos).
- There were still all three species of Rosy-finches at the Hochstettler property.
- Lots of Mountain Bluebirds moving through.
- A paucity of raptor species, but lots of Red-tailed Hawks and Great-horned Owls.  One Prairie Falcon, one Bald Eagle, One Rough-legged Hawk, a couple of American Kestrels.  I saw no Ferruginous Hawks, Merlins, Peregrines or Golden eagles - all species I've seen there in past years.
Keep Smilin',
Kevin Corwin
Sent from my Remington Rand Typewriter via my Rotary Dial Wall Phone

To view this discussion on the web visit<162202f2c32-179c-e8b...>
For more options, visit

Join us on Facebook!