Date: 3/12/18 8:37 pm
From: Carol Riddell <cariddellwa...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Edmonds Roundup - Feb. & Early March 2018

We started February with 90 species for Edmonds. As of today, we are at 102. February was pretty quiet. We added Sanderling (code 2; waterfront) and Lincoln’s Sparrow (code 2; marsh) on February 3rd, and Bonaparte’s Gull (code 2; waterfront) on February 4th. American Wigeons (code 1) showed up on the waterfront on February 8th. A pair of Hairy Woodpeckers (code 2) were busy feeding in Pine Ridge Park on February 14th. A pair of Common Ravens (code 3) were at the south end of the Edmonds Bowl, also on February 14th. There have been several recent sightings of Common Raven around Pine Ridge Park. A Hermit Thrush (code 2) showed up at the east end of the marsh on March 1st and was seen off and on for ten days. A Merlin (code 2) was at the marsh on March 3rd.

Today, March 12th, was a good day at the marsh. It included the first sighting of a Tree Swallow (code 3), our earliest date for a pair of Violet-green Swallows (code 1), and a Northern Pintail (code 3). I reviewed our first-of-year sightings of Violet-green Swallow for the last five years and March 12th is the earliest date. In 2017 and 2016 our first sightings were on March 19th. In 2016 the first sighting was March 16th. In 2014 it was March 24th. And in 2013 it was March 27th. I asked Ted Peterson if he had any earlier dates. He noted that in both 2009 and 2004 the first Violet-green Swallow sighting was March 13th. There is certainly some variability in March sightings and it is interesting that the dates are getting a little earlier over the last five years. Perhaps it reflects that migration dates for this species are becoming earlier due to climate change or some other unknown reason. It will be worth watching the first-arrival date for this species at the marsh over the next decade to see if there is a continuing trend to earlier dates.

To recap, we have added three species to the Edmonds checklist: Swallow-tailed Gull, Sharp-tailed Sandpiper, and Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch. We have documented 273 species within the city. If you would like a copy of the revised 2018 checklist, in Adobe Acrobat format, please send your request to <checklistedmonds...> <mailto:<checklistedmonds...>. We also maintain a list of birds seen throughout the year in the bird information display box on the outer wall of the Olympic Beach Visitor Station, at the base of the public pier.

If you see a good bird in Edmonds that you think we might not have on our year list, please let me know.

Carol Riddell
Edmonds, WA
Tweeters mailing list

Join us on Facebook!