Date: 3/6/18 2:35 pm
From: Kathy and Mark Haas <kathyhaas...>
Subject: Field Sparrows Singing--and more--in Perry County
I went to Perry County Lake early this morning, mainly hoping for a woodcock
display and some lingering waterfowl. The woodcocks did not disappoint,
putting on a full show of peenting, twittering and chirping in the burnt
field next to the main parking lot. Great-horned and Barred Owls and a
gobbling turkey added to this experience of sound and sight (I did glimpse a
few woodcocks). Just as it got light enough to see well and the show ended
as expected, two Field Sparrows began singing at the far end of the field.
First of those I've heard this year.

Then I heard singing, and later saw, three pine warblers in the pine stand
adjacent to the woodcock field. Another treat. Finally, a scan of the lake
revealed Ruddy Ducks, Buffleheads, Hooded Mergansers, Lesser Scaup,
Ring-necked Ducks, Wood Ducks, Mallards, grebes and coots. And an eagle
snatching a shad from the lake, landing in a nearby tree to begin its
breakfast. A brisk, cold wind over the lake made my eyes water, but who's
complaining. All of this without walking more than a few steps from the
parking lot. A phoebe sang as I climbed into my truck to leave. I'd say I'd
gotten my money's worth on another glorious early-spring morning.

Mark Haas

Jackson, MO

ABA Birding Code of Ethics

Join us on Facebook!