Date: 3/6/18 9:36 am
From: David Young via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Discusssion threads
I have paused and hesitated about posting this comment but
after seeing 16 or so posts about a bird that was last seen 2017, I feel it's
perhaps needed. These discussions don't serve the intended purpose of this
resource unless said the bird returns. I come here to see what birders are
currently observing and hopefully to post a report about what
I have seen that may be of immediate interest to other birders
in Virginia and for those out of state birders looking to travel here.
I know when I go to other states listing to help my travel plans
and see these types of threads I would prefer not to sort through
random discussions about optics, hstorical sightings, self promotion,
out of state trips and photos or even extensive banter about
current observations.
There are record committees to decide this bird and I am certain there are
social media groups where these postings could play out to those concerned.
I am probably guilty of doing the same by posting this. Many of these comments
would be best taken off line, but that is more difficult now since the e-mail
address of the senders does not readily appear (at least on my format)
as they always had in past years.
Take your birding energies outdoors and report what your currently observing, that
is what this Va-bird News is all about. It is a fantastic resource and one that I still enjoy
In this era of so many options, I find it the most direct and personal method
to report and to read others daily updates. I welcome any offline comments,
perhaps I am being a curmudgeon but so be it.

Good birding to all,

David Young
Reston, Virginia