Date: 3/6/18 7:19 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: Re: [GeneseeBirds-L] vintage ny bird slides
Very cool!

Lynn Braband
NYS Community IPM Program of Cornell University
2449 St. Paul Blvd
Rochester, NY 14617
(585) 753-2562
fax: (585) 753-2560
Twitter: @LynnBraband<>

From: <geneseebirds-l-bounces...> on behalf of Genesse_Birds <geneseebirds-l...>
Date: Monday, March 5, 2018 at 7:25 PM
To: Genesse_Birds <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] vintage ny bird slides

Hi, college archivist here at Brockport, and we have a huge set of the old early 20th century glass slides that were once widely distributed to schools by the state education department. As a little side project when I have time I am scanning some of the bird images. They were taken by birders and ornithologists well known in their time, like Arthur Allen of Cornell, Guy Bailey of Geneseo... Wonderful images, enjoy, will add more as I can. New to flickr here, I think you should be able to view and download if you wish, let me know if you can't.

These slides were the "magic lantern" glass slides, 4x3", much bigger than the later 35mm slides. Glass slides were widely taken and distributed through the 1930s and '40s. The original images were all black & white I believe, and some were later hand colored. So far I have just posted colored images, and the quality of the coloring seems quite good.

Charlie Cowling
Clarkson NY

"Keep on the sunny side"