Date: 3/6/18 4:59 am
From: Joseph C. Neal <joeneal...>
Subject: Gray-headed Junco continues at Hobbs VC
The Gray-headed Junco found and photographed by Karen Garrett at Hobbs State Park-Conservation area Visitor Center on February 28 was still present yesterday (March 5) afternoon. Joan Reynolds first spotted it on the ground under bushes near the VC. Later, we saw it again and managed a few photos while it was on a hanging platform feeder visible from inside the VC. Photos compromised by bright back light.

As Kim Smith pointed out in his posting of a few days ago, this Dark-eyed Junco subspecies was formerly a full species. According to online Birds of North America: "J. h. caniceps (Woodhouse, 1853); type locality San Francisco Mtn., AZ. Breeds in mountains from s. Idaho, n.-central and e. Nevada, and s. Wyoming south to s. Nevada, e. California (White, Grapevine, and Clark Mtns.), and east to central Colorado and n. New Mexico; winters to lower elevations and east to w. Nebraska and w. Texas, south to Sonora, n. Sinaloa, Chihuahua, and n. Durango; rare but regular west to sw. California (e.g., San Diego Co.)." It is extremely rare in Arkansas. Prior to Karen's discovery, only one previous Arkansas record, from 1963.

I am amazed AGAIN at what incredible travelers are these tiny packages of reality. 19 grams of indisputable fact about how utterly amazing and surprising is our planet.

Join us on Facebook!