Date: 3/5/18 2:27 pm
From: Shea Tiller via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: Re: [Va-bird] Red-naped Sapsucker
Hi, Marlene. As others have said, an interesting bird.

While I'll leave it to the real sapsucker experts like Frank to make a call
on something that falls in the field of their years of expertise, I just
thought it would be helpful to remember that there can be very strange
variants of a bird without the species being different. I'd seen only
typical mallards for years, of course even before I got into birding, and
then this past fall I bumped into one wild leucistic individual. Even with
leucistic individuals being quite regular, it took a long time for me to
happen into one. With some variations that are far rarer, it could take
much longer for an observer to find one even in the species' normal
territory. Nonetheless, I think that the possibility is important to
consider when also weighing the equally rare possibility of a vagrant
bird. Many
birders will typically look at the possibility of an odd, in-species
variation when also looking at the option of a vagrant bird. Quite often
the possibility ends up being a reality in the eyes of more seasoned
birders than myself who can more confidently make a nuanced ID call like
this one.

Great birding,