Date: 3/3/18 6:03 pm
From: Alan Roedell <alanroedell...>
Subject: Re: [Tweeters] Backup Optics
On a more positive note, My Leica Trinovid scope was dropped eyepiece first
on the floor and was jammed at one power.. I sent the eyepiece to Leica
and within 3 weeks received a new one (free) with the admonition to be more
careful. I have been. That was 6 years ago. Two years ago I sent a pair
of 15 year old Nikon binoculars that had been loved to death an they calle
me to tell me that that model was unavailable and offered me $1800 in
credit. I cashed that in for 5 pairs of various binoculars for family
birding trips. So I feel loyalty to both brands.

Good birding, Alan Roedell, Seattle

On Sat, Mar 3, 2018 at 1:22 PM, Carol Riddell <cariddellwa...> wrote:

> As my birding intensified, I upgraded from perfectly decent, waterproof
> Pentax 8 x 42 binoculars to Swarovskis. I have been without my Swaros twice
> for extended periods, once for a servicing and once because I left them in
> Sweden. (That's a funny story on its own.) It worked out really well to
> have my older Pentax binoculars in the house and available for use. Except
> in some rare conditions and in those critical dawn and dusk moments, the
> Pentax binoculars served me very well while I was waiting on the return of
> the Swaros. For those who can afford it, having a less expensive backup
> pair of binoculars is really handy.
> There is no excuse for the poor servicing by Leica, as described in
> earlier posts, but a backup pair of less costly optics can ease the pain
> and and allow for continued birding fun. I have also held onto an older,
> smaller scope for that same reason.
> Carol Riddell
> Tweeters mailing list
> <Tweeters...>