Date: 3/2/18 10:33 pm
From: Deanna Emig <qhjumper...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Trumpeter Swans in Linn Co.
I have seen Trumpeter Swans in all 5 of my survey counties this winter
(Benton, Linn, Lane, Polk, and Marion). The highest count was 15 in the
Airlie area.

Deanna Emig

From: Joel Geier <joel.geier...>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2018 01:42:42 -0800

In addition to Deanna's reports earlier this winter, small numbers of
Trumpeter Swans have been found in sw. Linn Co. and in a few other
non-traditional locations in the mid-Willamette valley (Finley, Ankeny
etc.) for the past several years.
This coincides with a depletion of numbers in the Airlie (s. Polk
County) wintering flock, for which the highest reliable count this
winter (not counting my effort to ID them well out of range of my
binoculars back in November) was only about 7 birds.

The total number of Trumpeters wintering in the valley south of Portland
seems to be down by at least half, and probably closer to 75%, from
10-15 years ago when flocks of 40+ were routine in the Airlie area.

On Fri, 2018-03-02 at 01:06 -0500, <obol...> wrote:

> Subject: [obol] Re: Bewick's Swans in Linn County
> From: Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren...>
> Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2018 19:15:42 -0800
> *
> Deanna Emig found four Trumpeters a month ago, separate from any
> Tundras, and well to the west--between Peoria Rd and the Willamette.
> That's relatively close to Finley. Lars
> On Mar 1, 2018, at 6:45 PM, David Irons wrote:
> > The Trumpeters are perhaps more newsworthy than the Bewicks. I have
> poured through a lot of Linn Co. swans over the years and never found
> Trumpeters in those flocks.
> >
> > Dave Irons
> > Beaverton, OR
> >
> > Sent from my iPhone
> >
> >> On Mar 1, 2018, at 6:27 PM, Christopher Hinkle
> <christopher.hinkle2...> wrote:
> >>
> >> One immature and one adult continuing with hundreds of swans along
> Crook Drive (Linn County) this evening. I also picked out at least two
> Trumpeter Swans. Ebird dot is plotted in the exact location - they
> were right next to the road.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >>
> >> Chris Hinkle

"But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall
mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run and not be weary and they
shall walk and not faint." ~Isaiah 40:31 KJV

Join us on Facebook!