Date: 3/1/18 5:43 pm
From: <festuca...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Re: Nisqually NWR 2/28/18
Hi Folks,

When Phil and Shep had to turn back from the north dike at Nisqually (cold, wet, meetings . . . .) on the weekly Wednesday walk, the "Olympia Ken Brown" & I continued out to the end of the estuary boardwalk, but didn’t see all that much, missing the intergrade Green-winged Teal that had been seen recently. We did see a pair of Eurasian Wigeon on the mudflats, but the Reach itself was pretty quiet; we could not scope out any grebes or loons from the choppy water. I sent this eBird report for our ‘side-trip’:

Nisqually NWR-- Nisqually Estuary Boardwalk Trail, Thurston, Washington, US Feb 28, 2018 12:02 PM - 1:02 PM

Protocol: Traveling 0.85 mile(s)

Comments: Ken & I continued out the McAllister Creek boardwalk to scan from the observation deck. It was 45° F, raining and south wind at 15 knots on a flood tide. Mammals seen included harbor seals, California Sea Lions, and a pair of Black-tailed Deer on the west beach of McAllister Creek.

21 species (+2 other taxa)

Brant (Black) (Branta bernicla nigricans/orientalis) 38

Gadwall (Mareca strepera) 16

Eurasian Wigeon (Mareca penelope) 2 Classic view of drake; the female had the 'warm buffy brown' head and plumage, rather than the greyish head feathering of the nearby American Wigeon hens. Photos

American Wigeon (Mareca americana) 525

Mallard (Northern) (Anas platyrhynchos platyrhynchos/conboschas) 12

Northern Pintail (Anas acuta) 85

Green-winged Teal (Anas crecca) 25

Bufflehead (Bucephala albeola) 48

Common Goldeneye (Bucephala clangula) 14

Red-breasted Merganser (Mergus serrator) 46

Brandt's Cormorant (Phalacrocorax penicillatus) 9 On Channel Marker in Reach

Double-crested Cormorant (Phalacrocorax auritus) 4

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias) 12

Northern Harrier (Circus hudsonius) 1 Female

Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus) 12

Least Sandpiper (Calidris minutilla) 80

Spotted Sandpiper (Actitis macularius) 1 West bank of McAllister Creek

Greater Yellowlegs (Tringa melanoleuca) 8

Mew Gull (Larus canus) 14

Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis) 8

Glaucous-winged Gull (Larus glaucescens) 2

Western x Glaucous-winged Gull (hybrid) (Larus occidentalis x glaucescens) 6

Larus sp. (Larus sp.) 145 'Way out near mouth of River & mudflats

Tweeters mailing list

Join us on Facebook!