Date: 2/16/18 12:11 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: Re: [GeneseeBirds-L] Back yard birds
Do your neighbors know that it is illegal in NYS to feed deer? Or do they just not care if they potentially contribute to the spread of chronic wasting disease?

Lynn Braband

NYS Community IPM Program of Cornell University

2449 St. Paul Blvd

Rochester, NY 14617

(585) 753-2562

fax: (585) 753-2560

Twitter: @LynnBraband <>

´╗┐On 2/16/18, 3:05 PM, "<geneseebirds-l-bounces...> on behalf of Bird observations from western New York" <geneseebirds-l-bounces...> on behalf of <geneseebirds-l...> wrote:

This discussion brings up a larger issue, alluded to by Paul Fuhrman,
namely the severe, negative impact deer herbivory has on native plant
communities when deer numbers become imbalanced as they are in most
areas of WNY. When my neighbors tell me they buy heads of lettuce in
the winter time to set out for the poor deer, I wonder at the
Disneyesque view too many of us have of the natural world, and conclude
that it represents a widespread failing of our educational system in
basic biology/ecology training.

Re the deer slobber question, I have an open two wooden bowls feeder
(top bowl larger) connected by wood rod. Deer have lapped
sunflower/safflower seed from this feeder with no effect of later
fillings being shunned by the usual visitors: chickadees, nuthatches,
cardinals. Perhaps feeder design has something to do with how much
slobber is deposited that results in shunning.