Date: 2/14/18 7:05 am
From: psaracin <psaracin...>
Subject: Re: [cayugabirds-l] Bird Signs of Earlier Spring?
Thanks Dave but that data does not address the issue of daylength (which has remained essentially the,same for the time period you mentioned). Again I say the behavior is much more related to photoperiod (day length) than any other thing.....Anyone else care to weigh in.

-------- Original message --------From: david nicosia <daven1024...> Date: 2/14/18 8:30 AM (GMT-05:00) To: Sandy Wold <sandra.wold...>, Upstate NY Birding digest <cayugabirds-l...>, psaracin <psaracin...> Subject: Re: [cayugabirds-l] Bird Signs of Earlier Spring?

I have heard Cardinals, titmice, chickadees, and carolina wrens sing on clear, sunny mornings with light winds and temperatures near zero in February for years. Plus, looking at the long term temperature records for Ithaca NY (from the Cornell U. site), surprisingly there has been no long term trend in temperatures, even in the winter. I checked Jan-March, no trend and annually, which was slightly negative(probably not statistically significant). This means that from the late 1800s to present, there has been no warming and possibly even slight cooling at Ithaca! There has been a warming trend since the 1960s, which was the coolest part of the 20th century. Many people are comparing today's temperatures locally to the 60s.  If you look before that time period it was warmer and for some locations, like Ithaca, slightly warmer than today. So the argument about earlier spring weather locally does not apply to our birds based on this long running dataset. Of course, this is just locally. Not speaking to what is happening globally!

On Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 11:13:11 PM EST, psaracin <psaracin...> wrote:

Sandy, I, too, have heard titmice and cardinals. I believe such behavior is more tied to hormonal responses brought on by increased daylength but am no ornitholigist.....

-------- Original message --------From: Sandy Wold <sandra.wold...> Date: 2/13/18 9:56 PM (GMT-05:00) To: Upstate NY Birding digest <cayugabirds-l...> Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Bird Signs of Earlier Spring?
Maybe this is obvious to everyone on this list with people reporting the call of a cardinal or "raven with nest material" in February.  But I also have been noticing sounds of spring (cardinal, titmouse, Carolina Wren, ...), crows checking out tree tops and pairing, crows bombing raptors,... since February 1st (maybe even second or third week of January?).  I meant to write dates and temps in my notebook this year, but didn't.
It seems like all of this is happening a month or two early, am I wrong? Are there any scientific studies that show what triggers the timing of these territorial behaviors? Could it be a certain number of days above freezing?  I know the media talks about the growing seasons lengthening and things blooming earlier,... but I haven't seen anything written on bird nesting behavior.  Just curious, thanks!Sandy---
Climate Change Action: 30-day Ithaca VEGAN CHALLENGE (pledge for Earth Day 2018)No-blame, no-shame support here: https://www.facebook. com/groups/ IthacaVeganChallenge/
Less meat = Less heat, 4 min. video  www.youtube.com/watch? v=lLhEmGx8YQE
---
Sandy WoldAuthor/Originator of Cayuga Basin Bioregion Map
(available at Wegmans (near ATM), Autumn Leaves, Cornell Plantations, and Ithaca Visitor's Bureau)https://www.linkedin.com/in/ sandy-wold-877114a7/
https://sites.google.com/site/ cayugabioregionmap/about- author-and-artist
www.Sandy-Wold.com

Welcome and Basics